For the batter
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 tsp salt
½ cup cold soda water
¼ cup cold water
4 Snapper fillets
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1½ Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
4 Tbsp soy sauce
pinch of black pepper
pinch of garlic powder
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Olive oil
6 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped (use less chillies if you don’t like spice)
1. If you are using a deep fryer turn this on now.
2. To make the chilli jam have all your ingredients prepped and measured out before you start.
In a small pot heat the oil over high heat and cook the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli and coriander cook for a further 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients with ½ cup of water and cook until reduced, approx 10 minutes.
3. If you are using a wok/pan or pot to fry your fish fill it with 1/3 oil and place on high heat.
4. Make the batter. Put the flour and salt in a bowl and slowly add the soda water and cold water and whisk until smooth.
5. Test your oil first before dropping a piece of fish in. If a piece of bread browns in 15 seconds your good to go.
Place the snapper fillet in the batter 1 piece at a time and fry for approx 3 minutes or until golden and cooked. Drain and keep warm while you continue frying.
6. Serve fried snapper with chilli jam and homemade fries. ENJOY!
Share on Facebook »