300-500g fish fillets cut into chunks, I used snapper, kingfish will work well too
1 onion, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch piece ginger – finely chopped
1 medium mango diced – choose a mango that’s not too ripe. Alternatively you can use canned mango but fresh is best.
2 green chilies – finely chopped
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tin coconut milk light
1 tsp mustard seeds
Zest of ½ a lime
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil to coat the pan
- Blend together the green chilies, ginger and garlic to make a paste either in a mortar pestle or blender.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan, add the mustard seeds and onion, cook for about 4 minutes until onion is soft. Add the chili, ginger, garlic paste and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Make a paste with the ground spices, turmeric, chili and coriander by adding a little water and add it to the pan.
- Add the diced mango and mix well for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and mix well again.
- Add the lime zest and fish chunks, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat or until fish flakes easily when tested.
- Serve with warm brown or basmati rice. ENJOY!